Skip to main content

Emily Dickinson's Poems

[Emily Elizabeth Dickinson (December 10, 1830 – May 15, 1886) was an American poet. Although Dickinson was a prolific private poet, fewer than a dozen of her nearly eighteen hundred poems were published during her lifetime. 
The work that was published during her lifetime was usually altered significantly by the publishers to fit the conventional poetic rules of the time. 
Dickinson's poems are unique for the era in which she wrote; they contain short lines, typically lack titles, and often use slant rhyme as well as unconventional capitalization and punctuation. 
Many of her poems deal with themes of death and immortality, two recurring topics in letters to her friends.Though most of her acquaintances were probably aware of Dickinson's writing, it was not until after her death in 1886—when Lavinia, Emily's younger sister, discovered her cache of poems—that the breadth of Dickinson's work became apparent. Her first collection of poetry was published in 1890 by personal acquaintances. 

Here I post two poems of hers for the connoisseurs..........] 


1.
I HAD been hungry all the years; 
My noon had come, to dine; 
I, trembling, drew the table near, 
And touched the curious wine. 

’T was this on tables I had seen, 
When turning, hungry, lone, 
I looked in windows, for the wealth 
I could not hope to own. 

I did not know the ample bread, 
’T was so unlike the crumb 
The birds and I had often shared 
In Nature’s dining-room. 

The plenty hurt me, ’t was so new,— 
Myself felt ill and odd, 
As berry of a mountain bush 
Transplanted to the road. 

Nor was I hungry; so I found 
That hunger was a way 
Of persons outside windows, 
The entering takes away.
_________
2.
I YEARS had been from home, 
And now, before the door, 
I dared not open, lest a face 
I never saw before 

Stare vacant into mine 
And ask my business there. 
My business,—just a life I left, 
Was such still dwelling there? 

I fumbled at my nerve, 
I scanned the windows near; 
The silence like an ocean rolled, 
And broke against my ear. 

I laughed a wooden laugh 
That I could fear a door, 
Who danger and the dead had faced, 
But never quaked before. 

I fitted to the latch 
My hand, with trembling care, 
Lest back the awful door should spring, 
And leave me standing there. 

I moved my fingers off 
As cautiously as glass, 
And held my ears, and like a thief 
Fled gasping from the house. 






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

वो जो गीत तुमने सुना नहीं

वो जो गीत तुमने सुना नहीं मेरी उम्र भर का रियाज़ था ! मेरे दर्द कि थी वो दास्ताँ जिसे तुम हँसी में उड़ा गए ! मेरी उम्र से न सिमट सके मेरे दिल में इतने सवाल थे ! तेरे पास जितने जवाब थे तेरी एक निगाह में आ गए ! -- Anonymous  

दुआ ( A PRAYER)

मेरे अल्लाह मुझ को कामयाब -ओ -कामरां (successful) कर दे ! मैं मुश्त -ए-ख़ाक (a handful of dust) हूँ मालिक , तू मुझको आसमां कर दे !! गुनाहों और खताओं को हमारी माफ़ फरमा कर भलाई और नेकी से मुज़य्यन (adorn ) जिस्म -ओ - जाँ कर दे ! मैं अपने दस्त -ओ -बाज़ू (hands and arms) से दिखा दूँ कुछ नया कर के मेरी हिम्मत को , मेरे अज्म (will power ) को , इतना जवाँ कर दे !! मसाइब ( adversaries ) की है तपती धुप , झुलसा जा रहा हूँ मैं मेरे सर पे तू अपनी रहमतों   (blessings) का सायेबाँ ( shade/tent ) कर दे !! मेरी बिगड़ी   (troubles of life) बना दे , पार कर दे तू मेरा बेडा   (the boat of of life) चमन की तरह , मेरी ज़िन्दगी को शादमान (happy and care- free) कर दे ! मेरी जायज़ तमन्नाओं   (genuine desires) की अब तकमील (fulfillment) फरमा दे मुकम्मल   (complete) तू हमारी आरजुओं का जहाँ   कर दे !! -- Jawaid 'Saahir'

Dekha Hai Zindagi Ko Kuchh Itnaa Qareeb Se

[Here is a beautiful Ghazal by Sahir Ludhianvi which reflects a variety of concerns and feelings....] Dekhaa hai zindagii ko kuchh itnaa qareeb se Chehre tamaam lagne lage haiN ajeeb se Is rengti (crawling) hayaat (life) kaa kab tak uthaayeiN baar (weight)? Beemaar ab ulajhne lage haiN tabeeb (doctor/healer) se Har gaam (step) par hai majamaa (crowd) -e- ushshaaq (lovers; Plural of aashiq) muntazir (awaiting) Maqtal (place of execution) ki raah milti hai kuu-e-habeeb (lover’s street) se Is tarah zindagi ne diyaa hai hamaaraa saath jaise koi nibaah rahaa ho raqeeb (rival) se Ai rooh  (soul)  -e- asar   jaag, kahaaN so rahi hai tu? aawaaz de rahe haiN payambar (prophets) saleeb (cross) se -- Sahir Ludhianvi